Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Subjunctive Tense is the Bane of My Existence

So for the past week and a half, every morning has began promptly (or 5-10 minutes late according to Ecuadorian practice) with 4 straight hours of Spanish language classes. The first day I started strong- Ruth could understand what I was trying to get across (I assumed) and for the most part I could understand her. My feelings of success however were short-lived as we progressed extremely quickly to a brutal review of ALL the Spanish verb tenses including pluscomperfect, past and present subjunctive, and who knows what else. The next few days, I backtracked, and actually got worse at my already menial conjugating skills. At times, I would slip and a few words of English frustration would spurt from my mouth- such as "Ahhhh- subjunctive is the bane of my existence!!!"- after which I would have to explain the phrase's meaning in Spanish to my "profe" (not as easy as it might seem since Spanish was the source of the frustration in the first place). The past few days, however, have been hopeful! Now, I think there might be a light at the end of the tunnel that slightly resembles a more fluent me after 12 more months. Nevertheless, I implore you all to keep your fingers crossed and think of me the next time you frequent your neighborhood Chipotle or El Fenix and hear the employees effortlessly shouting preterite, subjunctive, imperfect, and reflexive verbs on a whim. Ciao for now!  : )

No comments: